I posted this about four years ago after talking to a guy at work who had just bought his first house. The advice is still good.
10. When it comes to leaves, the amount on money you spend on equipment is inversely proportional to the amount of time you’ll have to spend managing them.
9. Always turn off the circuit when doing electrical work.
8. If there’s a question, buy one of each at Lowes. You can always return the wrong ones.
7. Home Depot never has exactly what you want, but they have something that will do.
6. Prime with Kilz. Buy good paint. You’ll be happy you did.
5. Overestimate the horsepower you’ll need.
4. If you have more than ¼ of an acre, buy the gas one (of anything.)
3. Screwdrivers are migratory. And I’ve tried flooding the market with them; it doesn’t work.
2. Put a floor in your attic. Today.
1. Always…no…Never start an elective plumbing job in the evening.